Positive Technologies have this week released a report revealing an increase in the number of cyber incidents occurring between Q1 2017 and Q1 2018. According to the report, analysts identified a 32% jump in unique cyber incidents.

While a general growth of cybersecurity issues could be considered typical, the report also found that other cybersecurity related concerns were found to have increased over the year as well.

Hackers, according to the report, have an increased interest in personal data such as account credentials. Data theft also makes up for a large share of the total cybersecurity threatscape, 13% more than the 2017 average.

Increasing malware threat

The greatest increase was the use of malware in attacks, up 75% since Q1 last year. In fact, the report found that malware was used in 63% of all attacks launched.

Primarily, individuals are the victims of malware attacks 5 out of 6 times, according to the report. Similarly, the report found that cryptocurrency miners accounted for 23% of malware attacks.

“Spyware, in particular, is used most often because it allows obtaining not only personal information and corporate secrets, but credentials for the services and systems needed to attack internal corporate infrastructure.” Leigh-Anne Galloway, Cyber Security Resilience Lead at Positive Technologies, said in the report.

Government attacks

According to the report, cyber attacks on the government increased as well, with most of these involving spyware. This malware was placed on government infrastructure primarily through phishing emails. Public sector workers should be vigilant for odd looking emails and possibly invest in training their employees to better spot phishing emails.

IT workers in banking need to be aware of cyber-attackers seeking financial gain. These efforts total 64% of attacks on banks, with the remaining 36% aimed at gaining sensitive client balances. So, IT professionals in finance and banking should make sure their customer databases are as secure as possible.

While these attacks aren’t new, they aren’t expected to slow down anytime soon.

“We expect that the number of unique cyberattacks will continue to grow,” Galloway said in the release. “New types of malware, and especially spyware, will appear.”

Source: TechRepublic